Wednesday 2 January 2008

Wet not white Christmas

I stayed with my Great Aunt Betty for the week up to Christmas in a small farm house in Suffolk. We spent our time sitting in front of the tele drinking cups of tea, knitting and talking about family, English culture and the past. It was fantastic, i really enjoyed having a time to just vege out after all the travelling around.
For Christmas we opened pressies (Donnie got me some slippers to wear about he house, they are fantastic old mans ones in rich red and some other fun goodies) and then had a great big lunch at Kate's place (my 2nd cousin) of turkey with all the trimmings. I ate an aweful lot. After dinner we watched the Queens speech and a bit of tele, had a walk outside and then Donnie and I went back to her place and did a bit more knitting. All in all a most enjoyable day.
Apart from the obvious temperature differences between Australian and England Christmas' there are also a couple of other ones. As a result of the seasons Britons spend more time inside and therefore watch television on Christmas day. I have never done this at all before. The stations get right on board showing favourites like 'my fair lady' and the 'great escape' every year as well as more kiddy friendly movies. The English also play cheesy christmassy songs on the radio like Maria Carie, Cliff Richards and the Pogues. They are terribly catchy. Becky gave me a CD full of them so i can play them all when i get back home - hooray! I both love and hate them at the same time - but they will always bring back good memories.

Oh and it rained not snowed.

No comments: